tools, construct, craft-864983.jpg


Online Course | Self-paced learning

In NSW, you need an owner-builder permit to supervise or do work valued at over $10,000 on your own home, and you’re not contracting a licensed builder to supervise the work.
If the work is valued at more than $20,000, you also need to complete certain units of competency or have the approved equivalent qualifications and experience.
As an owner-builder, you are responsible for the building work as a fully licensed builder would be.

The NSW Owner Builder course is mandated by NSW Fair Trading and must be delivered by a registered training organisation.
The course has five units of competency which we have grouped into three modules:
1. Work Health and Safety
2. Drawings, Estimating and Cashflow
3. Managing the Work

  • Need additional requirements
    To be eligible to apply for an owner-builder permit you must:
  • be at least 18 years old
  • be the owner or joint owner of the land, or
  • be a shareholder in the company that owns the land, or
  • have a lease, registered with NSW Land Registry Services, for more than 3 years on the land
  • not have started the building work
  • show that the property is not part of a multi-dwelling strata complex
  • intend to live in the property after the building work is complete or, in the case of a secondary dwelling being constructed, one of the dwellings
  • have completed the owner-builder approved education requirements or equivalent accreditation if the cost of building work is $20,000 or more, and can attach a copy of your completed accreditation

This Statement of Attainment for this course include the following 5 units of competency

CPCCWHS2001 – Apply WHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
CPCCOM2001 – Read and interpret plans
CPCCCM1011 – Undertake basic estimation and costing
CPCCOM1013 – Plan and organise work
CPCCOM1014 – Conduct workplace communication

Upon satisfactory completion of the owner-builder and white-card courses, students will receive a Nationally Recognised “Statement of Attainment” with which they can apply to the NSW Office of Fair Trading (Service NSW) for their owner-builder permit.

Service NSW will issue the permit in person over the counter (or 72 hours if you apply online).